Fennel & Apple Salad
(Adapted from ‘The 21-Day Sugar Detox’ by Diane Sanfilippo)
This crisp, bright salad is my all-time favorite way to enjoy garden-fresh bulb fennel.
· ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
· 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
· 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
· ½ teaspoon finely ground fennel seeds
· ½ teaspoon cinnamon
· ¼ teaspoon onion powder
· Salt & pepper to taste
· 2 tart, firm apples (such as Granny Smith), diced
· 2 fennel bulbs, diced
· ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
· ¼ cup pecans or hickory nuts, chopped
· ¼ c fennel greens, finely chopped, for garnish
Put all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste. In a medium bowl mix the apples, fennel and cinnamon. Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine ingredients. Top salad with chopped nuts and fennel greens. Enjoy immediately, or refrigerate and allow flavors to meld for several hours.